Bier Fisch (German Beer Fish) (#1585)
Fish Seafood Main
Share This Recipe
- 3 pounds Fish, Whole Carp two to three pounds whole fish with head, dressed
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Onions chopped
- 1 Celery Stalks chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 Peppercorns
- 3 Whole Cloves
- 4 slices Lemon
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 10 oz Beer one bottle
- 6 Gingersnap Cookies crushed
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Parsley Leaves for garnish, fresh
- This recipe is an old tradition in germany. The sauce combines sweet, sour, and spicy flavors. In germany, fresh carp is used, but since it is hard to find other fish may be substituted.
- Remove head from fish and reserve for making fish stock for other recipes. Lay fish out as flat as possible, breaking bones along back. Melt butter in a skillet. Add onion, celery, salt, peppercorns and cloves and mix. Top with lemon slices and bay leaf.
- Place fish on top. Add beer. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or just until fish flakes with fork. Transfer fish to a platter, cover with foil to keep warm.
- Strain cooking liquid, pressing some of the vegetables through. Put gingersnaps and sugar in skillet, stir in 1 1/2 cups strained liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Garnish fish with parsley. Pass sauce for pouring over fish and boiled potatoes as side dish.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.