Chocolate-Walnut Biscotti (#1584)
Chocolate Cookies Desserts Nuts Italian
Share This Recipe
- 2 cups Walnuts
- 3 oz Chocolate Unsweetened
- 5 tablespoons Butter plus
- 1 tsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Orange Zest grated
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Place the walnuts on a cookie sheet and toast until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter together.
- Remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly.
- Gradually beat in the sugar. Add the orange zest.
- Stir in the cooled chocolate until blended.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder until incorporated.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Butter a large cookie sheet and preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Shape each half of the dough into a 14 x 2 1/2 inch log.
- Place about 4 inches apart on the prepared pan.
- Smooth the tops and sides with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the logs are firm when pressed in the center.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Do not turn off the oven.
- Slide the logs onto a cutting board.
- With a large knife, cut each log diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
- Stand the slices upright on edge on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes longer, or until crisp.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Makes about 4 dozens.