Three Cheese Broccoli Mac and Cheese (#1557)
Pastas Main Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Pasta, Whole-Wheat Macaroni or you can use regular macaroni
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 4 Carrots medium, diced
- 1 Sweet Red Bell Peppers diced
- 1 large Onions chopped
- 6 cups Broccoli Florets fresh or frozen, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 cups Stock chicken or vegetable
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 cup Very Old Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese horseradish flavor, or still use old cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup Swiss Cheese shredded
- 2 1/2 tsp Whole-Grain Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 Salt And Black Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta, and return to the pot. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large pot or a dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add the carrots, bell peppers, and onions, stirring occasionally, and cook until vegetables start to become soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and garlic until well combined.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, stir until well mixed, 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour in broth and milk.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir until the sauce is thickened and vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups of mixed cheeses, mustard, paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the macaroni into the cheese-vegetable mixture, and stir until coated and combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake, uncovered, until the casserole heated through, sauce bubbles and the cheeses on top are melted, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes.
- Serve hot.