Second Day Apple Squares (#1548)
Share This Recipe
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup Butter or margarine
- 1 cup Nuts chopped, optional
- 2 tsp Cinnamon or less
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Sour Cream or yogurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Eggs
- 2 cups Apples peeled, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and margarine.
- Blend at low speed, until the mixture forms fine crumbs.
- If you want to include them, stir in the nuts now.
- Place about 2 3/4 cups of the crumb mixture into an ungreased pan, about 13 x 9 inches.
- Press down firmly.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the apples) to the remaining crumb mixture.
- Blend well.
- Stir the chopped apples into the batter.
- Spoon the batter evenly over the crumb base in the pan.
- Bake at 350° f (180° c) f for 30 to 40 minutes.
- If you use the larger pan, bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
- Better yet, let it wait 24 hours before cutting.
- Store loosely covered.