Classic Christmas Cake (#1542)
Cakes Desserts Christmas Holidays
Share This Recipe
- 8 oz Candied Cherry Halves
- 3/4 cup Molasses
- 6 large Eggs
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Brandy
- 2.25 oz Almonds blanched slivered
- 1 cup Dates pitted and chopped
- 1 cup Currants dried
- 2 cups Seedless Raisins
- 8 oz Mixed Citrus Peel candied,peel
- 3/4 cup Apple Juice
- In a medium bowl, combine cherries, citrus peel, raisins, currants, dates, and almonds.
- Stir in brandy; let stand 2 hours, or overnight. Dredge soaked fruit with 1/2 cup flour.
- Preheat oven to 275° f (140° c) (135 degrees c). Grease an 8x8x3 inch fruit cake pan, line with parchment paper, and grease again.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking soda, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until light. Gradually blend in brown sugar and eggs.
- Mix together molasses and apple juice.
- Beat into butter mixture alternately with flour mixture, making 4 dry and 3 liquid additions.
- Fold in floured fruit. Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from pan, and lift off paper.
- Cool cake completely, then wrap loosely in waxed paper.
- Store in an airtight container.