Share This Recipe
- 1/4 oz Active Dry Yeast active dry yeast, (3 Tbsp or 3 packages)
- 3/4 cups Water warm (110 degress F)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 7 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter unsalted butter, or margarine
- 6 large Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1/4 cup Butter unsalted or margarine, chilled
- Grease side and bottom of 2 (10 inch) tube pans.
- Prepare topping; set aside.
- In a shallow, medium bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 cup flour; stir to combine. Cover; let stand in a warm place 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Heat milk and butter or margarine in a small saucepan until melted. Let stand until mixture cools to warm.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks and remaining 1 cup sugar until pale and frothy.
- Add cooled milk mixture, salt and yeast mixture. Beat unil smooth.
- Gradually beat in 4 1/2 cups flour.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough into a soft, smooth dough. Divide dough in 1/2. Arrange 1 part dough in each greased pan. Cover with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Lightly beat 2 egg whites in a small bowl until foamy. Brush beaten egg whites on top of dough.
- Evenly sprinkle topping over dough. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans 3 to 4 minutes on racks. Turn out of pans; cool completely on racks.
- Frost with powdered sugar icing if desired. Makes two (10 inch) cakes.
- Topping: In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Powdered sugar icing: 2 egg whites 4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating constantly. Beat 10 minutes or until glossy. Add lemon juice; beat 2 minutes or until icing stands up in soft peaks. Makes about 1 1/4 cup icing.