Better than Macaroni and Cheese (#1518)
Pastas Main Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1 pound Elbow Macaroni prefer whole wheat
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic minced, or as needed
- 1 Onions chopped
- 1/2 pound Mushrooms quartered, any kind or several kinds mixture
- 14.5 oz Tomatoes diced, 1 can
- 10 oz Frozen Spinach thawed and and drained of excess liquid, 1 package
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes or to taste
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese plus 1/3 cup
- 1/4 cup Romano Cheese plus 1/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons Butter divided
- 12 oz Mozzarella Cheese cubed
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic.
- Cook until mushrooms are tender and onion is golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, spinach, and red pepper flakes.
- Mix well and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, 1/4 cup parmesan, and 1/4 cup romano.
- Spread softened butter in 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish and sprinkle half of the bread crumb mixture inside the dish to coat.
- In large bowl combine vegetable mixture with cooked macaroni, cubed mozzarella, remaining parmesan and romano cheeses, and nutmeg.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish, top with remaining bread crumb mixture, and dot top with remaining butter.
- Bake until top is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve warm.