Skillet Green Beans in Orange Essence with Maple Toasted Pecans (#1499)
Christmas Holidays Side
Share This Recipe
- 2 oz Pecans coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 Shallots minced
- 3/4 tsp Orange Zest
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper to taste, we like a large sprinkle
- 2 tsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 pounds Green Beans trimmed
- 1 tsp Sage Leaves minced
- 2/3 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Salt to taste
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground to taste
- Prepare all ingredients and have them ready before starting to cook.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Dry roast the pecans in the skillet, stirring frequently until they start to become fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter, the maple syrup and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Place skillet back on the heat and stir constantly until the nuts are dry, about 60 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium, remove pecans to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
- Place the skillet back on the heat and add the remaining butter. When melted add the shallots, orange zest and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Cook shallots until beginning to soften about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir, add the green beans and toss.
- Add the chicken stock, orange juice and minced sage; stir/toss together and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Cover and cook until the beans are just beginning to soften but are still crisp on the inside, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
- Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens and the beans are cooked to tender crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, taste and adjust seasoning (salt and black pepper).
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the pecans.
- Serve to rave reviews.