Vegetarian Barley Casserole with Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Pesto (#1498)
Casseroles Main Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 6 cups Stock vegetable
- 1/8 cup Canola Oil
- 1 small Onions minced
- 1 pound Pearl Barley about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup White Wine dry
- 1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 2 oz Goat (Chevre) Cheese crumbled, about 1/4 cup
- 2 cups Basil leaves, fresh, packed
- 1/2 cup Pine Nuts roasted
- 3 cloves Garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup Sundried Tomatoes
- 6 Basil sprigs, fresh
- For the risotto:
- Bring vegetable broth to a simmer.
- In a separate large saucepan on an adjacent burner, heat the oil and sauté onion until it is translucent.
- Add barley (or rice) and lightly sauté to toast the barley.
- Add wine and stir for about 2 minutes until it is absorbed.
- Begin slowly adding broth, 1 ladle-full at a time, to the barley pan, stirring as you go.
- The friction of the stirring will bring out the starch in the barley.
- As the mixture absorbs the broth, ladle more into the pot.
- When all of the broth has been ladled into the barley pot, slowly simmer until barley is soft and creamy.
- Stir in ricotta to add creaminess, then crumble in goat cheese (to add cohesiveness), stir, cover and set aside.
- For the pesto:
- Place basil in food processor, add pine nuts and garlic, and pulse until chopped.
- Scrape into a bowl, add parmesan and stir in oil to form a thick smooth paste.
- Add black pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Spread half of the barley (or rice) mixture over the bottom of a lasagna dish or large casserole.
- Top with half of the sun-dried tomatoes and then with half of the basil pesto.
- Repeat for a second layer.
- Bake covered with foil for 25 minutes, then remove foil and continue to bake for 5 minutes to let top layer of pesto become toasted.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil sprigs.