Superbowl Oven-Fried Jalapeno Poppers (low-fat) (#1484)
Appetizers Snacks Low Fat Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 12 large Jalapeño Pepper or 18 small ones, whole and fresh
- 1 1/4 cup Refried Beans
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese peferly low-fat, shredded
- 1 Tbsp Scallions, Spring Or Green Onions minced, 1 each
- 1 tsp Salt divided
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Cornmeal very fine, yellow
- 1 Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Using a paring knife make a slit down the side of each of the jalapeno peppers to remove the seeds after "blanching".
- Place peppers in large microwave safe dish.
- Cover and microwave on high until just softened, about 5 minutes.
- While the peppers are blanching, mix refried beans, cheese, scallions ad 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- When peppers are cool enough to handle, scape out the seeds using a a small spoon.
- Fill each pepper with enough bean filling to fill it but be careful not to over-stuff it.
- Close the pepper around the filling. The mixture will help to keep the pepper in shape.
- Preheat oven to 450f.
- Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put the flour in a shallow dish.
- Beat eggs lightly in another shallow dish.
- Mix well cornmeal and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in another shallow dish.
- Roll each stuffed pepper in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip in eggs and let any excess drip off.
- Then roll in the cornmeal mixture.
- Put the peppers on the prepared baking sheet.
- With cooking spray generously coat all sides of peppers.
- Bake peppers for 5 minutes.
- Turn all the peppers over and go on baking until hot and the filling begins to melted, about 5 minutes.
- Let them cool for 2 or 3 minutes, serve warm.