Shoofly Pie 2 (#1483)
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Water boiling
- 1 cup Molasses
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Whipped Cream or ice cream, optional
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, and shorting in a bowl.
- Cut with pastry blender or rub together until it forms fine crumbs.
- While preparing the liquid, put unbaked pie shell in preheated oven at 350° f (180° c) for about 5 minutes.
- This prevents bottom from getting soggy.
- To make the liquid, dissolve the soda in the boiling in a bowl.
- Add the molasses and salt and stir to blend well.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the prebaked pie shell and add the topping mixture.
- Bake in 400° f (200° c) oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 350° f (180° c) and bake 30 minutes longer until the center does not move when it is shaken.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.