Crisp Roasted Pig's Head (#1451)
Share This Recipe
- 1 Pigs' Head
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1/2 cup Brown Bean Sauce
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 1 cup Honey
- 1 cup Water boiling
- 1 Tbsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- Remove any hair on head by singeing over an open flame or plucking as needed.
- Scrub well (using a vegetable brush, if desired) and then sprinkle with lots of salt, rubbing it into the skin.
- Rinse well with cool water; pat dry.
- Remove any excess fat.
- Place head in a colander in the sink and pour a kettle full of boiling water over.
- Let cool.
- Combine the 5-spice powder, salt, bean sauce and bourbon.
- Slash the meat on underside of head and rub half of the spice mixture into the meat.
- Rub the remaining spice mixture onto the skin. Place head upright on a rack in a large baking pan.
- Bake at 375° f (190° c) f for 1 1/2 hours.
- Lower heat to 325° f (160° c) and continue cooking for an additional 2 hours, or until the meat is cooked through, basting the skin well every 30 minutes with the honey-water mixture.
- If ears begin to brown too quickly during cooking period, wrap them with foil.
- When head is done, remove to platter and garnish with watercress or coriander.
- Chop head into pieces and serve with sweet vegetable relish or plum sauce.