Chick Pea and Yam Stew (#1450)
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 7 cups Water
- 1 Onions coarsely chopped
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, Or Yams chunked
- 1 Carrots sliced
- 1 Celery Stalks sliced
- 1 Leeks sliced
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets pieces
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp Cumin ground
- 2 tsp Horseradish pure, prepared
- 1/8 tsp Red Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 dash Cayenne Pepper
- Place beans and water in a large pot.
- Soak overnight.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Add onion, yams, carrot, celery, and leek.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Serving suggestions: Pour into individual bowls or over any whole grain.
- Also good as a topping for potatoes or whole-wheat bread.
- Helpful hint: This dish can easily be made in a slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients at once and cook on the high heat setting for 8 to 10 hours.
- Be sure to soak the beans overnight before you begin.