Spanakopita 2 (#1444)
Appetizers Greek Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 1000 grams Spinach 1 kg
- 1 medium Onions chopped
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Scallions, Spring Or Green Onions chopped
- 1/2 cup Parsley Leaves chopped
- 2 tsp Dill Weed chopped, or fennel
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg ground
- 1/2 cup Mizithra Cheese or cottage cheese
- 1 cup Feta Cheese well-crumbled
- 1/4 cup Kefalotiri Cheese finely grated (if unavailable, subsitute with parmesan)
- 4 large Eggs lightly beaten
- 1 Salt
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground
- 10 sheets Phyllo (Filo) Pastry Sheets
- 1 Butter melted
- Wash spinach well and cut off any coarse stems.
- Chop coarsely and put into a pan.
- Cover and place over heat for 7 to 8 minutes shaking pan now and then or turning spinach so that juices can run out freely.
- Drain well in colander, pressing occasionally with a spoon.
- Gently fry onion in oil for 10 minutes, add spring onion and fry for further 5 minutes.
- Place drained spinach with onion-oil mixture in a large mixing bowl.
- Add herbs, nutmeg, cheeses and eggs and stir to combine.
- Check saltiness of mixture, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush a 25 x 30 cm (10 x 12 inch) baking dish with butter and line with a sheet of fillo pastry.
- Top with another 4 sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Spread filling in pastry-lined dish and top with remaining fillo, brushing each sheet again with butter.
- Trim edges if necessary and tuck pastry in on all sides.
- Brush top lightly with butter and score top layer of pastry lightly into squares using a sharp knife or razor blade.
- Sprinkle a little cold water on top to prevent pastry curling up.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and leave for 5 minutes before cutting into portions for serving.