Basic Meat Loaf (#1440)
Share This Recipe
- 1 1/2 pound Beef ground, lean
- 3 Bread slices, or 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs or wheat
- 1 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Onions chopped
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Prepared Mustard dry
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Sage
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Ketchup or chili sauce, or barbecue sauce
- Heat the oven to 350° f (180° c). Mix all the ingredients except the ketchup together. Spread the meat mixture into an ungreased loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches or shape into a loaf in an ungreased baking pan. Spoon ketchup onto the loaf and bake, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until done. Drain off the excess fat and serve sliced on a heated platter.
- Note: For leftover meat loaf, try the following:
- Barbecued meat loaf: For four 1/2-inch slices of meat loaf, mix 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce and 2 tablespoons of water in a skillet. Place the slices of meatloaf in the skillet, turning to coat all sides with the barbecue sauce. Cover and cook over low heat, brushing the sauce on the slices occasionally, until the meat is hot, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Potato-topped meat loaf: For four 1/2-inch slices of meat loaf, prepare some instant mashed potatoes, enough for 4 servings, as directed on the package and set aside. Set the oven control at broil/or 550 degrees f. Broil the slices with the tops 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes. Spread the potatoes on the slices and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes and serve hot.
- Souped-up meat loaf: For four 1/2-inch slices of meat loaf, mix 1/2 to 1 can of your favorite condensed cream soup, such as cream of mushroom, (10 3/4 oz size) and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk in a skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and place the slices in the skillet, turning to coat all sides with the sauce. Cover and simmer until the meat is hot, 10 to 15 minutes and serve.