Mediterranean Braised Lamb Shanks (#1437)
Share This Recipe
- 2 pounds Lamb Shanks cut into 1 1/2 inch sections
- 1 Salt And Black Pepper
- 1 Vegetable Oil for sauteing
- 1 All-Purpose Flour for dredging
- 1 cup Onions sliced
- 1 cup Fennel Bulb sliced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic chopped
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 2 cups Tomatoes chopped
- 3 cups Stock light
- 2 tablespoons Oregano fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup Kalamata Olives pitted
- 2 oz Feta Cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400° f (200° c).
- Highly season the lamb shanks on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large dutch oven.
- Dredge the shanks in the flour, shake off any excess flour.
- Sear the shanks on both sides until golden brown.
- Add the onions, fennel, and garlic.
- Cook for 4 minutes, moving everything around to ensure it's all cooking.
- Add the wine, tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover and place in the oven.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is so tender it falls from the bone.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Remove from the dutch oven and place on a platter.
- Top with chopped oregano, olives, and feta.