Lacy Potato Pancakes (Latkes) (#1424)
Jewish Breakfast Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 4 Potatoes peeled
- 1 small Onions
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 pinch Lemon Pepper or pepper oil for frying
- Grate potatoes either using the largest holes on a four-sided hand grater, or the grater attachment on a food processor.
- Place potatoes in a colander and rinse under cold water to remove the starch.
- Be sure to allow potatoes to drain well.
- Grate onion, removing any excess moisture by placing in colander and pressing with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Combine potato and onion.
- Beat eggs into mixture; stir in flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- If using a food processor, combine ingredients using plastic knife attachment so potatoes remain in grated pieces.
- Heat 1/8 inch of oil in a large skillet.
- For each pancake, drop about 2 tablespoons of batter into the oil and flatten with the back of a wooden spoon; the flatter the pancake, the crisper it will be.
- Brown well on both sides. Drain well on paper towels.
- Keep the cooked pancakes warm in a 100 degrees f oven.
- Serve with pink cinnamon applesauce and/or sour cream.
- Pancakes may be made ahead of time and refrigerated between layers of waxed paper when cooled.
- To reheat, place in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake uncovered at 450° f (230° c) for 5 minutes, or until crisp and hot.