Cinnamon Currant Scottish Oat Scones (#1420)
Share This Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Rolled Oats quick or old-fashioned, uncooked
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt optional
- 1/2 cup Margarine or butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup Currants
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 Eggs lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon ground
- Heat oven to 400° f (200° c).
- Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- Cut in margarine with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in currants.
- Add combined milk and egg; mix with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times.
- Roll or pat dough into 8-inch circle about 1/2-inch thick.
- Sprinkle with combined 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut into 10 wedges; place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- Variations: Substitute raisins, diced dried mixed fruit, dried cherries, cranberries or blueberries for currants, if desired.