Biryani Rice Recipe (#1415)
Indian Chicken Main
Share This Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Water less 2 tbsp
- 3/4 cup Basmati Rice or longgrain rice
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Salt to taste
- 1/2 pound Chicken cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Onions chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 1 tsp Coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 1 pinch Cinnamon
- 1 small Tomatoes quartered
- 1 small Potatoes peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Saffron Threads
- Wash rice well until the water runs clear and put in a small saucepan with the water.
- Bring it to a boil on high heat, then cover reduce heat to gentle simmer until all the water is absorbed.
- The grains should be tender but firm. Set aside uncovered.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan (medium heat), add onions and fry until golden around the edges, add garlic and ginger.
- All at once add all the spices and fry one minute longer. Add all other ingredients except saffron. Add salt to taste. Cover and cook on low heat until chicken is tender, stirring occasionally (about 1/2 hour).
- There should be very little liquid remaining in the pan. (during cooking a little water may be added if necessary to avoid sticking).
- Add half the prepared rice, spreading it evenly over the mixture, drizzle one tbsp of oil over it and add the saffron mixed into two teaspoon of milk.
- Cover with remaining rice, cover and cook on very low heat for ten minutes. Serve accompanied with whipped, lightly sweetened yogurt.
- The chicken could be substituted with 1/2 pound of mixed vegetables.