Almond Vanilla Ice Cream (#1413)
Desserts Ice Creams
Share This Recipe
- 1/2 cup Almonds finely chopped
- 2 cups 1% Milk
- 4 large Egg Yolks
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1/4 cup Almonds toasted
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Place almonds on a cookie sheet and toast for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Allow almonds cool.
- Meanwhile heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat, about 10 minutes, until steaming, do not allow the milk to boil, remove the milk from the heat.
- Place 1/2 cup of the toasted almonds into a food processor, process until finely chopped.
- Stir finely chopped almonds into the hot milk, mix well and allow to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large sauce pan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar, until smooth.
- Pour almond milk mixture into egg yolks and sugar mixture, split the vanilla bean into half lengthwise, and add split beans with vanilla seeds into saucepan with all the liquid.
- Gently heat over medium heat, stirring constantly using a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer into a sieve on top of a medium bowl. Sieve out the solids, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible. This should result in a smooth vanilla almond ice cream base.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours until thoroughly chilled, preferably overnight.
- Pour into ice cream maker and process for about 25 minutes. Follow any specific directions for your ice cream maker.
- Add reserved toasted almonds into ice cream maker near the end and process another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place the frozen ice cream in a reasonable sized container.
- It can be served immediately, or you can freeze it until it firms up if desired.