Homemade Holiday Appetizer (#1382)
Share This Recipe
- 1/2 tsp Salt To Taste
- 200 grams All-Purpose Flour
- 100 grams Butter Chilled
- 1 whole Egg Yolks Beaten
- 50 ml Water Cooled
- 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Red Onion Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Chopped
- 100 grams Salmon Crumbled
- 50 grams Mashed Potatoes
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt To Taste
- 1 whole Eggs Beaten
- 50 grams Tomatoes Slices-Small
- For the dough: Sift the flour. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Next add 1 beaten egg yolk and the water. Mix well your hands. Try to work quickly.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 10 -15 minutes.
- Now take the chilled dough and roll out into a large square that is about 1/8 inch thick, using a rolling pin.
- You need two different sized round shaped cookie cutters for this (one 2 1/2 inch, second 1/2 inch ).
- Using a 2- 1/2 inch diameter round cookie cutter, cut 16 dough rounds. After that take 8 of the pastry rounds and cut a round shape out of the middle of that using the 1/2 inch cutter. Now separate the middle, smallest size round.
- For the filling: In a pan heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat, add garlic and sauté until slightly softened. Next add onion, salmon, and prepared (or leftover) mashed potatoes. Mix until onion is softened and everything is heated through. Add pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Now place your prepared filling (about 1 tablespoon) on the big pastry rounds leaving a small space around the edge free of filling. Next place one tomato slice on the middle of the filling. Brush the edges of the pastry with some egg wash then place another pastry round (one with the center cut out) over the top and press down to seal. (see picture)
- After that, you can decorate the pastry with small flowers. I have done in the photo above . You can use scraps of the dough and cut out small flowers (using a small flower cookie cutter or a knife) and then place over the top of the pastry.
- Brush the remaining egg on top of the pastry. Next, i made twisted rope out of scraps of the dough and put the rope around the top edge of the pastry, to make border. Brush the remaining egg on top of the twisted rope.
- Bake about 25 minutes at 200 cup degrees or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
- See my website www. Recipesrilanka. Blogspot. Com www. Stellarecipe. Webs. Com