Fresh Apple and Strawberry Crumble Cake (#1372)
Cakes Desserts Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil or grapeseed oil, or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter melted
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Low-Fat Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour or white whole wheat, or whole wheat pastry
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Strawberries washed, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour or white whole wheat, or whole wheat pastry
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter cold, cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil light or regular, or canola oil
- 4 tablespoons Brown Sugar packed
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Butter and flour a 8-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, olive oil, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, eggs and milk until well blended.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, salt and baking soda until well mixed.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, and stir with a wooden spatula until just incorporated.
- Spoon into the prepared pan. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the surface. Arrange the apple and strawberry on top.
- To make the crumble topping:
- Place the flour, butter and olive oil in a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture forms a coarse meal. Stir in the sugar.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble topping over the apple and strawberry.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 75 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve.