Homemade Christmas Snack (#1358)
Cookies Desserts Christmas
Share This Recipe
- 100 grams All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt to taste
- 50 grams Butter chilled
- 1 whole Egg Whites
- 1/2 whole Egg Yolks beaten
- 50 grams Sugar
- 50 ml Water cooled
- 1 drop Food Coloring
- For the dough: Sift the flour. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Next add approximately 1/2 of the egg yolk and the water. Mix well your hands. Try to work quickly.
- Wrap the dough and chill for 10 -15 minutes.
- Now take the dough and roll out into a 12 inch square that is about 1/8 inch thick, using a rolling pin. Cut it into round shapes (diameter 2 inches) using a pastry cutter or cookie cutter.
- Put the pastry rounds into greased moulds (use butter or coking spray) and make sure the dough goes up the sides as well. I used moulds that were about 1 1/2 inches across, and had ridged edges (kind of like a peanut butter cup wrapper). Then trim off the excess pastry that goes over the edges of the mould. Prick the base with a fork to prevent air bubbles. You should have 12 moulds. You can use scraps of the dough and cut out strips – 1/8 inch width and 6 inch long. Fold each of the strips in half and twist strips together. You are basically making a spiral shaped decoration to place on top of the meringue. Place the decorations on the baking sheet as well.
- Bake about 10 minutes at 200 cup degrees or until the crust is light brown. Let cool.
- For the meringue: Place the egg white and sugar in a bowl. After 5 minutes of whipping, add food coloring. Continue to beat the mixture until stiff and standing in peaks (use an electric hand mixer).
- After that take the cooled pastry bases and get them ready to fill. Next put the meringue in a pastry bag with a piping tip and pipe the filling into the bases. I’ve done this in the photo above.
- Next decorate the meringue by sticking the spiral piece of pastry in the top. I’ve done this in the photo above. Then if you want, you can place a candle on the top of the spiral and you can even take a small strip of paper and write your fortune and connect it to the candle.
- Serve and enjoy.