Ben's Chocolate Ice Cream (#1355)
Chocolate Desserts Ice Creams
Share This Recipe
- 4 oz Chocolate Unsweetened
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch Salt
- Ben's chocolate ice cream is about as rich as they come.
- The pinch of salt helps to bring out the chocolate flavor.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling water.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Add the cream, vanilla and salt and whisk to blend.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 to 3 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Makes 1 generous quart.
- Variation: Chocolate almond- add 1 cup roasted whole almonds (salted or unsalted) after the ice cream stiffens, about 2 minutes before it is done, then continue to freeze until the ice cream is ready.