Sausage & Lentil Soup (#1332)
Share This Recipe
- 1 pound Meat combination of beef, sausage, venison, turkey), ground
- 1 large Onions chopped
- 2 medium Carrots peeled & chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Bell Peppers diced
- 3 garlic Ground Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 6 Chicken Bouillon Cubes *
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups Spinach chopped or 1 cup swiss chard
- 3/4 cup Lentils dry
- 2 tablespoons Butter optional
- 1 Very Old Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated
- Sauté meats, rinse & drain for a "lowfat" version.
- Add all the vegetables and cook until onion is softened and translucent.
- Add 8 cups of water and stock cubes or use the equivalent amount of chicken stock.*
- Add all remaining ingredients except lentils, butter and grated cheddar cheese.
- Continue cooking covered, simmer for at least one hour on stove-top or transfer to crockpot on low for several hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- Lentils go in 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving time. Add a bit of water if the soup becomes too thick.
- Add the butter if you're not preparing a "lowfat" version.
- Serve with grated cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top.
- Note: Leftovers are better than fresh.