Savory Stuffed Tomatoes (#1292)
Share This Recipe
- 6 large Tomatoes Ripe
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Mushrooms fresh, white; wiped clean and sliced
- 1 cup Onions chopped
- 10 oz Frozen Spinach (1 pkg.) chopped, thawed and drained
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Basil dried, crushed
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup Long Grain Rice (raw) cooked in chicken broth for 20 min.
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Bread Crumbs for topping
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese for topping
- 2 tablespoons Butter melted, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400° f (200° c). Cut a slice from the top of each tomato; remove pulp, leaving a 1/4 inch thick shell; drain and wipe insides of tomatoes dry; set aside. Chop tomato pulp and reserve.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach, reserved chopped tomato pulp, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Stir in cooked rice. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Place tomato shells in a 13 x 9 baking dish sprayed lightly with vegetable or olive oil spray. Spoon hot mixture into shells, dividing evenly.
- Mix together the 2 tbs. Bread crumbs and 2 tbs. Parmesan in a small bowl or ramekin. Sprinkle mixture on top of each stuffed tomato. Drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake until tomatoes are hot and the filling and topping are golden, about 15 minutes.