Grandma's Chicken and Barley Soup (#1285)
Share This Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 large Chicken Thighs (Boneless & Skinless) bone-in and skin on
- 6 cups Chicken Broth divided
- 2 stalks Celery chopped
- 4 medium Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 medium Yellow Onion peeled and diced
- 8 oz Mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 3/4 cup Pearl Barley rinsed
- 14.5 oz Tomatoes, Canned With Juice (diced) do not drain
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Basil dried
- 1/2 tsp Thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp Oregano dried
- 0 Salt And Black Pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Parsley Leaves (fresh) minced
- Heat oil over medium-high temperature in a large, heavy stockpot. Add chicken thighs, skin side down, and brown.
- Add 2 cups of the broth to pan and turn heat down to medium-low. Cover pot with lid. Cook about 40 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.
- Add remaining broth to pan. Stir in remaining ingredients (except salt, pepper and parsley). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours, until barley and vegies are done.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken meat and skin from bones. Discard bones and coarsely chop meat. Add to pot for last 1/2 hour and cook until heated through. (if soup is too thick at this point, add some water) add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add parsley and ladle into bowls.