Apple Tart-Low Fat and Low Calorie (#1268)
Share This Recipe
For The Crust
- 1 2/3 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 cup Walnuts lightly toasted in a pan for about 10 minutes, or in the oven under 350 F, about 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar packed
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter cold, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 tablespoons Water iced
For The Filling
- 4 large Granny Smith Apples peeled and evenly sliced, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup Apricot Preserves (Jam)
- Preheat oven to 400° f (200° c).
- For the crust:
- Coat a 11 by 8-inch rectangular tart pan with cooking spray or you can use 11-inch round tart pan..
- Combine whole wheat pastry flour, walnuts, sugar and salt in a food processor; process until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add butter one piece at a time, pulsing once or twice after each addition, until incorporated.
- Add oil and ice water and pulse just until incorporated.
- Turn the dough out into the prepared pan (it will be crumbly), spread evenly and press firmly into the bottom and all the way up the sides to form a crust.
- Bake the crust until set and the edges are beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling:
- Spread apricot preserve evenly on top of the tart.
- Arrange apple slices onto the tart.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Put in the oven, bake for 15 to 20 minutes. If the edges turn into too brown, half the baking, use foil paper to wrap the edges to prevent from burning.
- Transfer onto a wire rack, let cool completely.