South African Vegetable Biryani (#1267)
African Main Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 3 Onions sliced
- 4 tablespoons Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 6 Hot Chili Peppers crushed into a paste OR 2 ts cayenne
- 1 Ginger 2 inch piece
- 10 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 cup Lentils dried
- 1/2 pound Green Peas shelled
- 1/2 pound Carrots chopped
- 1/2 pound Green Beans chopped
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 6 Whole Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Sticks 4 inch piece
- 6 Cardamom Pods crushed
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 3 Mint Sprigs pounded OR 1/2 ts dried mint
- 2 cups Rice long grained white
- 6 Potatoes chopped
- 2 tsp Salt
- In a large, heavy skillet, fry the onions in the ghee until golden. With a slotted spoon, remove 1/3 of the slices & set aside. Add to the pot, the ginger, garlic & chili paste. Fry for 5 or 6 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the lentils, peas, carrots & beans. Reduce heat & cook for 15 minutes. Add more ghee if necessary.
- Add tomatoes, spices & mint. Stir for 5 minutes. Pour in 1 cup of very hot water, cover & simmer until the vegetables are half-cooked.
- Add the rice, potatoes, salt & another 4 to 5 cups of hot water. Cover & cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is done & the water is absorbed. Garnish with the reserved onion slices.