Kifli (Hungarian Walnut Cookies) (#1255)
Cookies Desserts Nuts Christmas Holidays
Share This Recipe
- 4 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour unsifted
- 2 cups Butter or margarine
- 4 large Egg Yolks slightly beaten
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 5 cups Walnuts shelled, ground
- 1 cup Sugar granulated
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Tbsp Almond Extract
- 1 large Eggs beaten
- 1 Powdered Sugar
- Make dough: In a large bowl, place the flour and the butter.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and sour cream; stir with a fork until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board or pastry cloth. Knead the dough with your hands until it is smooth and can be shaped into a ball. If dough is too sticky, knead in more flour.
- If desired, wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Make filling: In a medium-sized bowl, place the ground walnuts, granulated sugar, milk and almond extract.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in walnut mixture until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Prehead oven to 400° f (200° c).
- Grease baking sheets with solid vegetable shortening.
- To shape kifli: Divide the dough into quarters; wrap three of the quarters separately in plastic wrap and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining quarter of the dough to a 15 x 12 inch rectangle that is 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a pastry wheel, cut the rectangle of dough into 3-inch squares.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of the walnut filling in the center of each square; bring one corner of the dough over the filling to the opposite corner; pinch edges together.
- Place kifli on baking sheets; brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet.
- Fill the bottom of a pie plata with confectioners' sugar. Roll kifli in the sugar.
- Let cool on wire racks. Repeat steps with the remaining three quarters of dough.