Peach Strudel with Vanilla Sauce (#1245)
Desserts Pastries Strudels
Share This Recipe
- 1 Safflower Oil to coat baking sheet, or canola oil, or cooking spray
- 4 cups Peaches sliced
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup or honey, or sugar
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot Flour or cornstarch
- 6 large Phyllo (Filo) Pastry Sheets dough sheets
- 1/4 cup Butter melted
- 1/2 cup Almonds ground
- 2 tablespoons Date Sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Skim Milk or any milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 375° f (190° c). Lightly oil a large baking sheet.
- In a large saucepan mix together peaches, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and arrowroot.
- Cook over medium-high heat until peaches soften, about 8 minutes. Let cool completely.
- You can place hot pot over a bowl of ice to speed up cooling process.
- Place phyllo on a clean counter or cutting board, cover it with a clean and damp towel while you are working on it.
- Sprinkle each sheet with 2 teaspoons melted butter, then spread butter to cover as much of filo sheet as possible .
- Sprinkle equal amounts of almonds and date sugar on top of buttered sheets, reserving 1 teaspoon each for topping.
- Stack sheets evenly on top of each other in a pile.
- Place cooled peach mixture along one end of filo and roll filo around peaches, forming a log.
- Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush top of filo with any remaining melted butter and sprinkle with remaining almonds and date sugar.
- Bake phyllo roll for 20 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- While it is baking, in a small saucepan over medium heat combine honey, unsalted butter, egg yolks, and milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Let cool slightly, stir in vanilla extract.
- Serve over slices of strudel.