Arugula, Chickpea and Wheat Berry Salad (#1241)
Salads Side Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
For The Dressing
- 1 cup Orange Juice prefer fresh
- 1/3 cup Cilantro freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice prefer fresh
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Honey
- 2 cloves Garlic minced, more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin ground
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper or more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
For The Salad
- 1 cup Wheat Berries
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 15 oz Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Roasted Sweet Red Bell Peppers jarred, drained, patted dry and chopped
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground to taste
- 8 oz Arugula (Roquette)
- To prepare dressing:
- Bring the orange juice to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the juice is syrupy and reduced to 1/3 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the orange syrup to a small bowl and refrigerate until cool, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro, lime juice, water, oil, honey, garlic, salt, cumin, paprika, and cayenne into the cooled orange syrup, then set aside or you can refrigerate.
- To prepare salad:
- Bring 4 quarts water (16 cups) to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the wheat berries and 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover and cook, simmering, stirring often, until tender but still chewy, about 70 minutes.
- Drain the wheat berries and rinse them under cold running water until cool.
- Transfer the wheat berries to a large bowl and set aside.
- For assembling the salad:
- Stir in the chickpeas, roasted red peppers, feta, and half the dressing into the big bowl with the wheat berries.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, toss the arugula with the remaining dressing and divide among 4 plates.
- Arrange 1 cup of the wheat berry mixture on top of each salad.