Indian Mango Dal (#1240)
Soups Stews Indian Side Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt divided
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric ground
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 medium Onions chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger freshly minced
- 1/2 tsp Coriander ground
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Lentils yellow
- 2 Mangos peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro freshly chopped
- Put lentils in a colander and rinse until the water runs clear.
- Add lentils, 4 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and turmeric in a large saucepan and mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and cook until fragrant and starting to brown, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in onion, cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Then stir in garlic, ginger, coriander, cayenne and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Stir the garlic mixture and mangoes into the lentils.
- Return to a simmer, cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Add cilantro and stir well.
- Serve warm.