Authentic Homemade Chili Powder (#1237)
Share This Recipe
- 2 oz Ancho Chilies dried, seeds and stems removed
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- 2 tsp Cumin ground
- 2 tsp Oregano dried
- 2 tsp Cocoa Powder
- Dried ancho chili pods can be found in many markets in the mexican or ethnic food section of many supermarkets, including walmart.
- Remove stems and seeds and tear into one inch pieces.
- Add chili pieces to a skillet over medium heat and pan roast for 4 or 5 minutes or until fragrant. Stir occasionally to avoid scorching.
- Add the ancho chili pieces, red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano and cocoa powder into a food processor. Process until a fine chili powder forms with no large pieces remaining.
- Store in a tightly sealed container until ready to use.
- Makes just over 1/3 of a cup of authentic homemade chili powder.