Halloween Eyeballs in Green Brains (#1228)
Soups Halloween Holidays Side Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 1/2 pounds Broccoli Florets chopped into 1/2-inch, stalks chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 Shallots finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper freshly ground, or to taste
- 1 cup Stock vegetable or chicken
- 1/2 pound Cheddar Cheese sharp, 2 cups and grated
- 6 large Eggs hard-boiled and peeled
- 6 Black Olives pitted
- 1 pinch Nutmeg prefer freshly grated
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the chopped broccoli stems, shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, until the shallots are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until the broccoli stalks are tender and the liquid almost evaporated.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese, and toss to combine.
- Working in batches, transfer to a blender and purée until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the florets and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking.
- Cut a notch in the side of each egg and press an olive into it.
- Heat broccoli purée over medium heat until just warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the florets and the remaining butter.
- Spoon the gruel into individual soup bowls and top each with an egg eye, serve immediately.