Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers (#1224)
Greek Main Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 4 Sweet Red Bell Peppers yellow and orange
- 1/2 cup Orzo Pasta whole wheat
- 15 oz Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onions chopped
- 6 oz Baby Spinach coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Oregano chopped fresh
- 3/4 cup Feta Cheese crumbled, divided
- 1/4 cup Sundried Tomatoes not oil-packed, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached.
- Remove the seeds and white membrane.
- Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish.
- Add 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on high until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Mash chickpeas into a chunky paste with a fork, leaving some whole.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add spinach and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, tomatoes, vinegar and salt; cook until heated though, about 1 minute.
- Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.