Texas Sloppy Joes (#1222)
Tex-Mex Texas Beef Main
Share This Recipe
- 8 oz Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Onions chopped
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 8 oz Tomatoes cut up, 1 cup
- 8 oz Red Kidney Beans 1/2 can, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Rice quick cooking
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Green Bell Peppers chopped
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ground beef and onion. Cook until the beef is beginning to brown and the onion turns translucent, about 10 minutes. Drain off any excess fat.
- Sprinkle the mixture of beef and onions with chili powder, salt, and garlic salt.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans and uncooked rice, water, and green pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cover and heat until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- To add some more texture, sprinkle with crushed corn chips (optional).
- Spoon reasonable amount on top of hamburger buns, top with remaining buns.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Increase the chili powder to 2 1/2 teaspoons, add 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, and increase tomatoes to a 28 ounce can.
- Or -
- Use 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice. Cook for an hour or so, adding water as needed. Add beans during last 20 minutes.
- Or -
- Low salt, reduced sodium version: Use garlic powder instead of garlic salt and skip the salt for a reduced salt version. There's likely enough salt in the canned beans and tomatoes to season the entire dish.
- Further additions:
- Add a seeded and diced jalapeno pepper along with the green pepper for marginal amount of spice. For more heat include some cayenne pepper along with the chili powder. Use fresh garlic and add with the onions instead of using garlic salt.