Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce (#1206)
Share This Recipe
- 1 1/4 pounds Tomatillos fresh
- 2 Jalapeño Pepper
- 1 small Onions peeled, finely chopped
- 1 medium Garlic Cloves peeled, minced
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Chicken Broth low-sodium
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Chicken Breasts whole, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons Onions minced
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 8 Flour Tortillas corn
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese sharp, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup Asiago Cheese crumbled, or substitute additional, cheddar or jack cheese
- To make the sauce. Husk and wash the tomatillos. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the tomatillos and jalapeno peppers and time for 10 minutes.
- Drain and remove the stem ends of the peppers.
- Put the tomatillos, peppers, onion and garlic in a food processor and process to a coarse puree.
- In a large pot heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the vegetable purée and simmer 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and salt; simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside.
- To make the enchiladas. Place the chicken in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the water and cool slightly.
- Shred the chicken and set aside.
- Combine the cooled, shredded chicken with the minced onion, stir in 1/4 cup of the tomatillo sauce. Set aside.
- In a 9- to 10-inch frying pan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Put 1 tortilla at a time in the hot oil and fry about 30 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels. Cool slightly.
- Spread a little of the sauce in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Spoon some of the filling down the center of each tortilla and roll. Place in the baking dish; it will be a tight fit. Spoon the sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the cheddar and asiago cheeses.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.