Sopa Azteca (#1194)
Soups Mexican Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 3 medium Onions chopped
- 8 cloves Garlic peeled, crushed
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 pounds Tomatoes ripe, cubed
- 2 tablespoons Oregano dried
- 2 tablespoons Basil dried
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 10 cups Stock vegetable or any stock
- 1 cup Celery sliced
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Sweet Red Bell Peppers cored, seeded, sliced
- 1 cup Zucchini diced
- 1 large Carrots diced
- 1 Vegetable Oil for frying
- 20 Corn Tortillas (6-Inch) cut into 4 strips each
- 2 Potatoes peeled, diced
- 1 pound Spinach fresh, washed, torn
- 1 Salt to taste
- 2 Avocados ripe, diced
- 1 Lemon Juice fresh
- 1 pound Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- In a large pot, heat chicken broth.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, and pepper.
- Sauté 10 more minutes, until tomatoes are softened.
- Then blend all of above in a blender.
- Add the mixture to hot broth.
- Add celery, bay leaves, red bell pepper, zucchini, and carrot.
- Let simmer about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, fry tortillas strips in oil until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- In the same oil, fry potatoes about 5 minutes.
- Add to soup mixture with a slotted spoon.
- Next, add spinach, washed to the soup.
- Turn off the heat on soup. Salt, if needed.
- Place avocados in a serving bowl; adding a few drops of lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Serve soup by placing 3 to 4 strips tortilla in the bottom of each bowl.
- Pour hot soup over (be sure to get some of everything, except bay leaves, discard them).
- Top with avocado and cheese.