Cabbage Bacon Salad with Creamy Buttermilk Vinaigrette (#1186)
Share This Recipe
- 1 pound Cabbage finely slice or shredded
- 1 Carrots peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 6 slices Bacon cut into small pieces, about 1/4-inch
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Bacon Drippings
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mustard
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 Salt And Black Pepper to taste
- Add the cabbage, carrot and onion to a large colander. Sprinkle with salt, toss, place over a bowl or in the sink and allow to marinate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Rinse the cabbage, carrot and red onion under cold running water.
- Press to drain without squeezing the cabbage. Allow to drain for 15 minutes to one hour.
- Pat the cabbage, carrot and red onion dry with a few sheets of papper towel.
- At this stage, you can put the cabbage, carrot and red onion into a zipper bag and refrigerate until you are ready to make the salad. This can be done up to one day ahead.
- Whenever you want to make the salad.
- Add the bacon in a skillet over medium heat, and fry the bacon until they are crisp and brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked bacon pieces with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with a few layers of paper towels. Discard all but two tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, add the buttermilk, bacon drippings, vinegar, caraway seeds, dry mustard and honey, whisk until well blended.
- In a large bowl, add the cabbage, carrot, and red onions.
- Pour the buttermilk dressing over the vegetables, and toss until well mixed.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste if needed.
- You can serve it right away.
- Or you can cover it with a large piece of plastic wrap or transfer into a air-tight container.
- Keeps wonderfully for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.