Hot Black Bean Chili with Goat Cheese (#1173)
Chili Mexican Main Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 4 cups Black Beans, Dried rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Cumin Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Oregano dried
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 large Onions chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Green Bell Peppers finely diced
- 3 tablespoons Garlic minced
- 4 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 cups Tomatoes crushed in puree
- 4 Jalapeño Pepper fresh, seeded, deveined, finely diced
- 1 large Sweet Red Bell Peppers
- 6 oz Goat (Chevre) Cheese crumbled
- 1 Sour Cream
- 1 Flour Tortillas warm
- Place beans in large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let stand 2 hours. Drain beans and return to pot.
- Add enough cold water to cover by two inches.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender but not mushy, about 2 hours.
- Add water as necessary.
- Drain beans, reserving 3 cups liquid. Return beans to pot along with 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325° f (160° c).
- Place cumin and oregano in small baking pan.
- Roast until fragrant, shaking occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add onions, green pepper and garlic.
- Stir over medium high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add cumin and oregano mixture, paprika, cayenne, and salt.
- Cook until onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes and jalapenos.
- Bring to a boil. Gently stir into the beans. If necessary, thin with reserved liquid.
- Char and peel the red bell pepper. Dice into 1/4 pieces.
- Place 1 oz goat cheese in each bowl.
- Top with chili. Garnish with sour cream and diced red bell pepper.
- Pass warm tortillas separately.