Chard, Kale and Cheddar Phyllo Pie (#1152)
Appetizers Desserts Pies Main Low Fat Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced or finely chopped
- 1 Onions chopped
- 2 cups Button Mushrooms oor cremini, sliced, about 8 to 10 mushrooms
- 1 pound Swiss Chard tough ends removed, stems and leaves separated, coarsely chopped
- 1 Salt And Black Pepper to taste
- 1 pound Kale stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts toasted
- 3 tablespoons Parsley Leaves freshly chopped
- 1 Tbsp Thyme freshly chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 Tbsp Oregano freshly chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 10 sheets Phyllo (Filo) Pastry Sheets
- 1 Nonstick Cooking Spray or butter
- Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position.
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot
- Add the garlic and onions, stirring, and cook for about 4 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the mushroom, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the mushrooms start becoming brown, and part of the moisture has been evaporated.
- Add the chard leaves, stems and kale leaves, stirring, and cook for about 5 minutes, until all the leaves are wilted and completely cooked through.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat, and transfer the vegetable mixture into a large bowl, add the toasted pine nuts and herbs, and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggs and cheddar in another medium bowl until well mixed.
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture into the vegetable mixture, and stir until well combined.
- Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Lay the first sheet of phyllo pastry over the bottom of pie pan.
- Try to let the pastry fill up the whole pan, and will have edges hanging out of the pan.
- Coat the entire phyllo sheet with cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
- Then repeat another 5 sheets of phyllo, spray each sheet.
- Don't lay them all at same spot; every time lay the sheet at a different angle, then the overhanging sheets will be more evenly spread, later will make an even crust.
- Spoon the filling into the crust and spread it evenly.
- Fold all the overhanging phyllo sheets in over the filling, and try to arrange them evenly.
- Lay another 4 sheets of phyllo over the filling. Coat each layer with cooking spray or brush with butter.
- Stuff the edges into the sides of the pan to form a pie crust looking.
- Coat with cooking spray.
- Using a paring knife gives the top several small cuts in order to let the steam come out during the baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, until the top and sides are completely golden and brown.
- Watch carefully when the baking is close to the end, if the crust is too brown, lower the temperature of the oven for another 25 degrees f.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.