Savory Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Golabki) (#1145)
Share This Recipe
- 1/2 pound Ground Beef sirloin or lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Ground Pork
- 1/2 pound Ground Veal
- 1 cup Long Grain Rice cooked, cooled
- 1 small Yellow Onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup Tomato Sauce low sodium
- 1 large Eggs whisked until frothy
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Steak Sauce I use A-1
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 Tbsp Thyme mince, or pinch ground marjoram
- 1 large Cabbage boiled, leaves separated
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce low sodium
- 10 3/4 oz Tomato Soup condensed
- 15 oz Canned Stewed Tomatoes drained, liquid reserved
- Combine well the first 13 ingredients; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine 8 oz. Tomato sauce, tomato soup and the reserved stewed tomato liquid.
- Spread the bottom of a roasting pan or large casserole with about 1 cup of the combined tomato sauce, soup and tomato liquid. Top with the larger, less pretty leaves of the cabbage.
- Remove veins of the usable cabbage leaves. Place approximately 1 to 2 tbs. Meat mixture (depends on size of leaf) at bottom of edge of each leaf and roll securely.
- Place rolls atop of sauce in pan; top rolls with the small, unusable inner leaves of the cabbage. Pour over the remaining sauce and top, evenly, with the drained stewed tomatoes, breaking up into pieces as you do so.
- Preheat oven to 325° f (160° c). Cover roaster or casserole and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Note: If you find that you have some meat mixture left over after rolling all the cabbage leaves, make this into small patties and fry in skillet until completely cooked through. I like to tuck the cooked patties into mini pita pockets with slices of provolone ripe tomato slices. Yummy!