Cheesy Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas (#1126)
Mexican Main Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
For The Black Bean And Corn Filling
- 1/2 cup Corn fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 1/2 tsp Olive Oil or canola oil, or any vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Red Onion minced, or finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic or to taste, minced
- 3/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/3 cup Black Beans cooked
- 2 tsp Lime Juice fresh
- 1 Salt to taste, optional
For The Tortillas
- 2 Flour Tortillas (8 Inch)
- 3 oz Cheddar Cheese or monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp Jalapeño Pepper pickled and minced
- 1 Olive Oil or canola oil, for brushing
- To make the filling:
- Heat 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot.
- Stir in corn and cook, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, until starts to brown and pop, about 5 minutes.
- Place browned corn into a small bowl, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in the skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Stir in the red onions and cook until softened and browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and chili powder and cook until fragrant, 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add black beans, stirring, and cook until heated through, 2 minutes.
- Bring the corn back to pan, mash mixture with spatula to mash beans lightly.
- Place the corn and bean filling into the bowl, add lime juice, season with salt, and stir until well combined.
- To make the quesadillas:
- Wipe out skillet with papper towels and return pan to medium heat until hot.
- Put 1 tortilla in the skillet and toast until soft and puffed slightly at edges, 1 minute.
- Flip the tortilla and toast until puffed and slightly browned, 1 minutes.
- Transfer the tortilla onto a cutting board or a flat working surface.
- Toast second tortilla while assembling first quesadilla.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of cheese and half of jalapenos if desired, evenly over half of the tortilla, leaving 1/2-inch border around the edge.
- Add half of the corn and bean fillings on top of the cheese.
- Fold the tortilla in half and press to flatten.
- Brush the top with good amount of oil, sprinkle lightly with the salt if desired, and set aside.
- Repeat to assemble the second quesadilla.
- Arrange both quesadillas in the skillet, oiled sides down.
- Cook over medium heat until crisp and evenly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Brush tops with oil.
- Flip quesadillas with a spatula and cook until second sides are crisp and brown, about 2 minutes.
- Place quesadillas on the plate, cool for about 2 minutes, cut quesadilla into half, or third, whatever wedges you desire.
- Serve warm with sour cream and salsa if desired.