Spinach and Feta Phyllo Muffins (#1120)
Appetizers Breakfast Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 10 oz Spinach chopped, frozen
- 1/4 cup Onions chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Margarine or butter, or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Tarragon Leaves crushed, optional
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper fresh, ground
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 large Eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup Sundried Tomatoes oil-packed, or dried, chopped
- 10 Phyllo (Filo) Pastry Sheets thawed, 17 x 12 inches each
- 1/2 cup Butter or margarine, or cooking spray
- Cook spinach according to directions; drain well, pressing out excess liquid.
- In saucepan, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons butter or margarine until tender.
- Stir in flour, tarragon and pepper. Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until mixture is thickened. Stir half of mixture into eggs; return egg mixture into remaining sauce.
- Stir in cheeses, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Coat 2 12-cups muffin tins with cooking spray or brush with butter.
- Unroll phyllo dough; cover with dampened towel.
- Put one phyllo sheet on a flat working surface, brush with butter or spay with cooking spray.
- Place another layer of phyllo sheet on top of the first one, cut into 12 3-inch squares.
- Repeat the same steps and make another 12 3-inch squares.
- Arrange the square into each muffin cup, fill up the cup about 2/3 high.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the phyllo sheets turn out golden-brown, the filling is puffed, and top is browned.
- Cool on a wire rack in the tins for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Make about 24 phyllo muffins.
- Carefully remove muffins onto wire rack.
- Serve warm or let cool completely.