Green Pepper and Tomato Soup (#1111)
Share This Recipe
- 2 Garlic Cloves large, peeled
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parsley Leaves chopped
- 1/4 tsp Thyme dried
- 2 tsp Paprika sweet
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil fruity
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 large Onions cut thinly in 6ths crosswise
- 1 pinch Saffron Threads be generous
- 2 pounds Tomatoes ripe,seeded and chopped, juice reserved
- 2 Green Bell Peppers medium, chopped into small squares
- 6 cups Water
- 1/3 cup Rice white
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 Basil chopped, or parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1 Parmesan Cheese fresh, grated
- Pound the garlic in a mortar with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pound garlic until is has broken down to a paste, then gradually work in the basil, parsley, thyme, paprika and tomato paste.
- Warm the oil in a soup pot, add the garlic-herb paste and mix together.
- As soon as the oil is hot, add the bay leaves and the onion.
- Sprinkle the saffron directly over the onion, stir everything together and cook for 10 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the pepper, tomatoes, their juice and the water to the pot.
- Bring to a boil then immediately lower the heat and cook for 25 minutes at a simmer.
- While the soup is cooking, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil; add a dash to salt and the rice.
- Boil until the rice is tender, about 12-to-15 minutes, then drain.
- Stir the rice into the finished soup, season with pepper.
- Serve the soup garnished with the fresh herbs and cheese.