Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon (#1108)
Share This Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup Red Wine dry
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons Onions dry, minced
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Parsley Flakes
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 pounds Stewing Beef stew beef, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 8 Bacon slices, diced
- 24 Onions small, white
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Mushrooms quartered
- In a bowl or pyrex measuring cup, mix together the olive oil, onion, thyme sprigs (or dried thyme), parsley and bay leaf.
- Place the beef in a zipper bag or bowl and pour over the marinade. Seal and marinate several hours or even better overnight.
- Drain the beef well, making sure to reserved the marinade and spices to use in the sauce. To ensure even browning dry the cubes of beef with paper towels.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until most of the fat has been rendered.
- Increase heat to medium-high, once hot add the beef cubes and brown on all sides. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, add the mushrooms and sauté until most of their juices have exuded which will deglaze the pan, scrape as needed to pickup any of the fond (those brown bits that are packed with flavor).
- Sprinkle with flour and cook for one or two minutes.
- Add the beef, mushroom, onion and bacon mixture to a crock pot. Pour the reserved marinade and spices over all.
- Cover and cook on auto 6 to 7 hours or low 8 to 10 hours; or high 4 to 5 hours.