Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel) (#1105)
Desserts Pastries Strudels German
Share This Recipe
- 6 cups Apples tart, sliced
- 3/4 cup Seedless Raisins
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest grated
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Almonds ground
- 8 oz Phyllo (Filo) Pastry Sheets 1/2 box, thawed
- 1 3/4 cups Butter (no margarine), melted
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs finely crushed
- Mix apples with raisins, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds.
- Set aside. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a kitchen towel and brush witl melted butter.
- Place a second sheet on top and brush with butter again.
- Repeat until 5 sheets have been used, using about 1/2 cup of butter.
- Cook and stir bread crumbs with 1/4 cup of butter until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup crumbs on the layered phyllo sheets.
- Mound 1/2 of the filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of the phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Lift towel, using it to roll sheets over apples, jelly roll fashion.
- Brush top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of crumbs.
- Repeat the entire procedure for the second strudel.
- Bake the strudels at 400° f (200° c) for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- Makes 2 strudels, 6 to 8 servings each.