French Apple Charlotte (#1078)
Share This Recipe
- 12 Apples
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Unsalted Butter
- 12 slices Bread crusts removed
- Peel and core apples and cut them into thin slices.
- Melt the sugar and 5 tbsp of the butter in a large frying pan.
- Add apples, stir until coated with butter, cover and cook over low heat until tender.
- Uncover and continue to simmer until water formed is evaporated.
- You should now have a thick apple puree.
- Cut bread into pieces and completely cover the bottom and sides of the mold.
- (easy when bread is cut into 1 inch strips for sides, and triangles for the bottom.) then brown the triangle pieces in some of the butter and place in bottom of mold.
- Dip strips of bread in melted butter and line sides.
- Pour hot purée into mold and cover with more trips of bread dipped in melted butter.
- Set the mold on a baking sheet and place in a 400° f (200° c) oven.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until bread on top is a deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes.
- Slip a knife between mold and bread and turn on to a platter.
- Serve hot with cream or apricot rum sauce.
- ( 1/2 cup apricot jam warmed up with 1/4 cup rum.)