Lemon Snowflake Cake (#1074)
Cakes Chocolate Desserts Holidays
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 4 large Egg Yolks lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest finely grated
- 3 1/2 cups Cake Flour unsifted
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Butter 2 sticks, softened
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest finely grated
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Milk
- 7 large Egg Whites
- 1 Chocolate white, snowflakes and frosting
- 4 Chocolate Bars 3 oz, white, coarsely chopped
- 1 Dragee (Silver Balls) optional
- 1 1/2 packages Cream Cheese 8 oz, softened
- 1/2 cup Butter 1 stick, softened
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Several hours or day before serving, prepare lemon filling: In 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt until well mixed.
- Gradually add water, stirring until smooth. Heat mixture to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk; boil 1 minute (or until mixture thickens).
- In small bowl, quickly stir some of hot mixture into egg yolks, then stir egg-yolk mixture into remaining hot mixture in saucepan until well blended.
- Reduce heat to low; add butter and cook mixture for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and rind.
- Cool to room temperature; cover surface of filling with plastic wrap and refrigerate until filling is completely cold-at least 2 hours.
- Prepare cake layers: Heat oven to 375° f (190° c)f. Grease three 9- inch-round baking pans.
- Line bottoms of pans with parchment or, waxed paper; grease and flour paper.
- In medium-size bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat 1 3/4 cup sugar and very light and fluffy; beat in lemon juice, lemon rind and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until smooth batter forms.
- In another bowl, with clean beaters and mixer at high speed, form.
- With rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Divide evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; invert layers onto wire racks, remove parchment paper and cool layers completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare white-chocolate snowflakes: In double bars white chocolate. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spoon melted white chocolate into pastry bag fitted with writing tip. Reserve pan in which white chocolate was melted. Onto foil-lined sheet, pipe twenty-eight 2-inch snowflakes. Decorate with silver dragees, if desired. Place sheet of snowflakes in freezer until cake is completely frosted.
- Prepare white-chocolate frosting: Melt remaining 2 1/2 bars temperature. In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in white chocolate, butter, and lemon juice until frosting is smooth.
- To assemble cake, with sharp knife, trim tops of cake layers to make level. Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with half of lemon filling; repeat with second cake layer and filling. Place last cake layer, upside down, on top of filling to complete 3- layer cake. Frost cake smoothly with white-chocolate frosting. Remove snowflakes from freezer; gently peel snowflakes from foil. Press a few snowflakes into side of cake; pile remaining on top of cake. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator.